Philippine Tarsier Sanctuary – Corella, Bohol

Philippine Tarsier Reserch CenterWe did The Countryside tour on our second day in Bohol. Our first stop is The Philippine Tarsier Sanctuary in Corella Bohol. It was a 15minute drive from the Panda Tea Garden Suites. We got to get upclose with the Tarsiers and kind of meet the famous Tarsier Man. Well, not really meet, we saw him and passed by him, I didn’t even realize it was him until Earvin told me when we were already back in our hotel room. He is such a simple man.Philippine Tarsier Foundation Incorporated Philippine Tarsier

You have to pass by the Tarsier Research Center before you can actually get to the Tarsier Sanctuary. You really get to know Tarsiers in a deeper perspective once you read about them on the Research Center. I love how the research center provided trivia like facts making it amusing to read.

dead baby tarsierDead TarsierTarsier Skeleton

They even have a baby tarsier skeleton and an adult tarsier skeleton on display. Look at how big those eye sockets are! O.O

Fun Facts about the Philippine Tarsier:

tarsier fun facts

• The Philippine Tarsier occurs in Bohol, Samar, Leyte, and other parts of Mindanao.
  • Tarsier’s eyes are 150 times biggeer than humans relative to the body size.
  • They can rotate their head 180degrees, side by side.
  • Tarsiers can move their ears to the direction of sounds.
  • They have an elongated leg bone, like the tarsius bone where it was named after.
  • They have elongated feet and toes too that can grip well.
  • Their tails is what they use for balance when they jump, they can jump for up to 5 meters.
The Philippine Tarsier Sanctuary:

Tarsier at Bohol tarsier research centerAfter the research center, you’ll be led by a guide to the actual Philippine Tarsier Sanctuary. Your guide will tell you were the tarsiers are, they are so tiny that looking for them in a forest like environment will be very time consuming without a guide’s help. The guides in the sanctuary are actually really really nice, they would even offer to take pictures for you.philippine tarsier sanctuary smallest primate in the worldTarsiers are nocturnal animals, they hunt during the night and take their much needed rest and sleep during the day so you have to be very quiet and use your inside voice while in the sanctuary. Flash photography is not allowed and tourists are not allowed to get too close to them either.

tarsier tarsier in boholDid you know that The Philippine Tarsier Sanctuary is the FIRST facility who was successful in breeding Tarsier in captivity? That’s a huge milestone for Tarsiers and the facility itself! The breeding was led by the Tarsier Man, Carlito Pizarras who started taking care of Tarsiers when he was a child.

at The Philippine Tarsier Sanctuary

You have to pay a 60php fee before you can enter the Philippine Tarsier Sanctuary, just a heads up! 😉

1. April Nunez
    September 5, 2016 / 3:04 pm

Wow! I love the scenery in your posts, it’s more fun in the Philippines huh! hihi

2. September 8, 2016 / 12:11 am

Is this facility run by government, or this is just an initiative of a private individual? Never been to Bohol, hoping in the nearest future we can pay a visit, and will check this place out.

• September 8, 2016 / 12:17 pm

It’s an initiative of a private individual. Someone else do the funding while tha Tarsier man do his work with the tarsiers.

3. September 8, 2016 / 2:22 pm

I’ve been here! It’s nice that their making an effort to educate people about tarsiers now. 🙂 Truth be told though, these little buggers kinda freak me out. Hahaha. They look so solemn and forlorn all the time.. 😛 Glad to know you enjoyed though. 🙂

4. September 8, 2016 / 4:21 pm

I had been to Bohol when I was still single. I saw tarsiers too while I was there. But I didn’t get to visit this sanctuary. I hope to go back to this province with my husband and kids in the future.

5. September 8, 2016 / 4:25 pm

I am going through so many posts about Phillipines because I am planning a trip there. Good to come across this post

6. September 8, 2016 / 5:37 pm

60 pesos seems like a good deal already for all that you’d see and learn. I’d love to take my family here. All my life, I’ve only seen tarsier once. That was when I was still in elementary. They’re so cute and little, aren’t they? Really adorable!

7. September 8, 2016 / 5:43 pm

Panoorin ninyo ang documentary ng tarsier sa Bohol. I saw that before sa YouTube. Search na lang. Truly tarsiers are one of our gift to mankind. Ganyan sila ka fascinating. Buti nga protected e hindi ako magtataka merong mga individuals na nagnanais na makahuli niyan para pag-aralan ang mata nila for commercial and military use eh!

8. September 9, 2016 / 11:23 pm

Have never heard of this mammal earlier but after reading about the interesting facts about it I was quite enamoured. We must protect and educate about all rare species on the planet and it’s great someone is doing the job.

9. September 10, 2016 / 7:17 am

Bohol has been very thankful for these fragile creatures. I’ve been to Bohol and seen this creatures myself and I have to agree with your thought mate. To add, Tarsiers are territorial mammals and needs much space as much possible. I’m happy about the positive news that they are breeding well.

cheers! http://www.masterryo.com

10. September 10, 2016 / 8:19 am

Hmmm , I’m not sure if that was the place we were able to visit when we were in Bohol . But I do recall that we were able to see some tarsiers inside a park. It was really amazing and they’re soooo cute you want to get one and bring them home secretly. But of course, I didn’t. I do hope they wouldn’t be endangered species (anymore?). Right?

11. September 13, 2016 / 12:24 pm

I remember when I was a kid, people say that when you visit Bohol, you are not allowed to take a shot of them. But I believe it is now possible just as long as there is no flash used, right? I am pretty much in awe with the fun facts of tarsier, great info it is!

12. September 13, 2016 / 1:31 pm

Is this near the Loboc River or may iba na siya place. The last time that I was in Bohol 7 years ago. Php 60.00 is affordable for the entrance fee in sanctuary.

13. October 19, 2016 / 12:47 pm

I need to go back to visit the Philippines. The last time and only time I was there was back in 2009. I really want to visit Boracay or another one of the islands. Considering I’m half Filipino, I don’t go back enough!

xoxo Rina