Bohol Butterfly Sanctuary

September 17, 2016

bohol butterfly sanctuaryWe head straight to Bohol Butterfly Sanctuary right after the quick photo op at Loboc’s Man-made forest. It’s been years since I last visited a butterfly garden. My last visit was back when I was still in 5th grade. That’s about a decade ago!

bohol butterfly sanctuarydead butterfliesUpon entering the Bohol Butterfly Sanctuary, you’ll pass by these frames of preserved butterfly remains. Your guide will accompany you throughout the visit and they will explain different terminologies, and things about how butterflies live. There are a ton of frames of preserved butterflies but I chose to only upload a few. Our guide even showed as a frame of preserved remains of gay butterflies, he said they tend to have shorter life span than males and females.

catterpillars at bohol butterfly sanctuary catterpillars

There’s actually frames of preserved butterflies and moths everywhere. Before entering the actual garden, we passed by these caterpillars. Yes, tourists are allowed to touch them but I didn’t dare do it. It seriously freaks me out. Earvin, on the other hand let it crawl in his arms and hand. One caterpillar even puked at his hand. Haha!

puppa at butterfly santuary moth puppaNext to the caterpillars are moth and butterfly pupa. The smaller ones are the butterfly pupa while the bigger ones are moth pupa.

tiger butterfly in bohol butterfly sanctuary in bohol butterflies in bohol bohol butterfly garden
Inside the butterfly garden, you get to see lots of butterflies flying around. Our guide said that tourists used to be allowed to touch them but because of the butterfly’s powdery wings which gets damaged easily, it is now prohibited. Your guide can catch it and lay a butterfly on your hand though. 🙂

male butterfly attracting femalesOur guide showed us this male butterfly, it does that sort of vibrating thing to attract female butterflies. He made us smell it and it actually smells like vanilla. Haha!

butterfly defense mechanismOur guide also showed us the butterfly’s defense mechanism. Apparently, they play dead as a defense mechanism.

butterfly foodfeeding butterfliesIn Bohol Butterfly Sanctuary, they hang a lot of these sponge looking thing which contains honey and water. The butterflies feed on it along with lots of flowers around the garden.

butterfly garden and sanctuary goofing around bohol butterfly sanctuary photos at bohol butterfly gardenThe guides in the Bohol Butterfly Sanctuary is very nice, friendly, and very funny. Their sense of humor is impeccable. Earvin and I are laughing our hearts out during our tour in the sanctuary. They have photography skills too! The photos of Earvin and I posing in front of the butterfly frames are taken by our guide. He’d even coach us where to stand and what pose to do. Haha!

Bohol Butterfly Santuary Fee:
  • 40php

You Might Also Like

• Reply Neri Ann September 19, 2016 at 6:49 am

This is one attraction that I was not able to visit when we were in Bohol. It is also a good learning visit for kids on where they can check different kinds of insects and the like.

• Reply Berlin September 19, 2016 at 7:19 am

Love that butterfly trick. Ihihi. So cute. Havent been to Bohol’s butterfly sanctuary but been to a number of butterfly places within the Metro and even outside. Looking at them fly calms the soul. And as they rest near you or even on you, you feel that you are truly part of nature. It feels good as well as they trust you. Seems your tour was indeed fun!

• Reply Miera Nadhirah Tan Abdullah October 8, 2016 at 5:37 am

this is such a nice place to visit. the butterflies there look so pretty, whereas the butterflies I find around here in Malaysia are quite pathetic with torn wings etc and it is simply amazing how you can let those huge gigantic looking caterpillars crawl on your hands… don’t they cause itchiness or rash…
    But great post… wish I can visit the bohol butterfly sanctuary

• Reply Maria October 8, 2016 at 7:57 pm

Awww a haven for the butterflies and moths! I love reading about places like this and also the experiences by the persons. It’s a new learning for me that there are gay butterflies. I wish you could tell us more about it. Their wings look lovely!

• Reply R October 9, 2016 at 9:17 pm

I visited this place last summer and your post makes me miss my Bohol trip hihi. Their crew were so funny, kind and accommodating. Btw have you tried the ice cream that they’re selling? It’s yummy hihi

Retlync.wordpress.com

• Reply Cai Dominguez October 10, 2016 at 2:20 am

If there’s one thing that will always reminds me of this butterfly sanctuary was the funny guides! They make this garden more interesting. Hahaha I can still remember the way they throw their punch lines even if that was a year ago hahaha

• Reply Chardy Baldyosa October 10, 2016 at 3:40 am

Haven!!! What a beautiful place! I’ve been hearing about this a lot of I’ve never actually wanted to go. But now, you’ve changed my mind. The place looks amazing and for 40php? What a deal!

• Reply Jenny October 12, 2016 at 7:58 pm

Another place to add on my list on places to go. I’m fascinated by butterflies already so I realy enjoyed reading your post. I’ll look into this more. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Ma.Me.Mi.Mommy October 15, 2016 at 10:55 am

Wow! You really get to be up close and personal with the butterflies in the sanctuary! I’ve never seen a caterpillar before, only in the books and drawings. Haha! I seem to have an inkling that it’s color green. It’s good that only the guides can touch the butterflies to protect them from inexperienced handlers.